Degree Works

DegreeWorks is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor students' progress toward the completion of their degree requirements, prepare for course selection and plan for timely graduation.

To view a Degree Works Audit, log in to myPennWest and on the Degree Progress Card, click view audit, for students. For faculty, click on the Degree Works link located on the Faculty Quick Access Card.

If you have questions, please contact

Degree Works FAQ’s

What is a Degree Works Audit?

The Degree Works Audit worksheet is a review of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements.Based on the program Curriculum Sheet, the Degree Works Audit can be used as atool to plan and track your progress toward earning your degree. The audit can be used as part of advising sessions with academic advisors to determine course selection and confirm graduation requirements

Can I print a Degree Works Audit?

Printing capability of your Degree Works Audit may be limited to the printing functions of your web browser. For best results, viewing and printing your Degree Works Audit with the Firefox web browser is recommended.

To print from other browsers, click the "Save to PDF"button on the header of your Degree Works Audit. This will generate a PDF document version of your Degree Works Audit which may be safely printed orsaved for future reference.

On which Web Browsers should I view my Degree Works Audit?

Degree Works is optimized for view ability on Firefox.

How is my Degree Works Audit different from a transcript?

Your Degree Works Audit is not your academic transcript nor is it an official notification of completion of degree requirements. The Audit can be viewed as a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress intended to help plan your degree path and future academic schedules.

Neither your Degree Works Audit nor your Unofficial Transcript is your official academic transcript and should not accompany job, transfer or graduate school applications. Official academic transcripts can be ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse.

How current is my Degree Works Audit information?

The information on your Degree Works Audit is automatically refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen on your audit tomorrow.

When should I look at my DegreeWorks Audit?

Your degree audit is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from most networked computers. It is recommended you review your Degree Works Audit information:

  • Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming term.
  • Before registration, use it to plan your schedule for the term.
  • After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would.
  • After your grades for each term are posted.
  • Before you apply for graduation, review your academic record.
  • Any time you make a change to your schedule or program of study.

When can I use my Degree Works Audit?

Use your Degree Works Audit when:

  • Reviewing your progress with an academic or major advisor.
  • Creating a list of questions to discuss with your advisor.
  • Identifying courses that need to be completed.
  • Selecting courses that meet your degree requirements.
  • Determining a projected graduation date.
  • Choosing a major.
  • Deciding whether to add a minor.

Does the Degree Works Audit show how many courses I have remaining to complete the degree requirements?

  • Yes. The audit appears in categorical sections called blocks which display your degree program requirements. Look for red circles to identify required courses that you still need to complete.
  • Most degree programs will also require some number of Free Elective credits in order to reach the minimum number of earned credits for the program. Such courses, once taken, are located at the bottom of the audit in the Electives Section, which lists all coursework that does not satisfy a specific requirement for your degree program, but does count toward your accumulated graduation credit total.
  • Review the Graduation Requirements Policy regarding minimum credits required to complete your degree.

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

Degree Works recognizes that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have a question about a specific course satisfying more than one requirement, contact your Academic Advisor.

Please note that while some requirements may be fulfilled by the same course, credits for that course are only applied to your graduation total a single time. Using a single course to fulfill multiple requirements may require completion of additional electives to reach your minimum graduation credit total.

Are my grades visible on my degree audit?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of each term, they are viewable on your degree audit.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Yes. Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient Block located at the bottom of your audit and will be indicated with a "W" grade.

If you drop a class during the official Drop/Add period at the beginning of a term, the course will not appear on your Degree Works Audit.

Does the Degree Works Audit show all of my courses, even if I've taken them elsewhere?

Yes, all courses transferred in from other colleges, taken in the military, on permit or in study abroad should show on your degree audit.Certain courses may not be applied to your major if you have exceeded the allowable number of credits under the residency requirement.

Transfer courses appear on your Degree Works Audit as the approvedPennWest equivalent course with a transfer grade (TA, TB, TC, etc…) to indicate the course transfer status. Each transfer course listed also indicates the transferring institution and original course number and title however this information is for reference only. Please use the approved PennWest equivalent course listed in all official references to such courses.

Questions related to transfer credits please contact

What is the Insufficient block?

The Insufficient block is a list of courses from which the student has either withdrawn prior to earning a grade, or for which the grade earned is insufficient to meet a minimum grade requirement.

What is the In-Progress Block?

The In-Progress block is a list of courses for which the student is currently registered, but has yet to receive grades. These could be courses in a past, present or future semester.

Not Counted Towards Degree Block?

Please be aware that developmental courses (courses leading with a 0 number) will NOT count toward graduation. Developmental courses are coded as "100" or below in the course number. Please check DegreeWorks to ensure there are enough "total credits applied" to graduate.

Can I use my Degree Works Audit to make my schedule, check course availability or register for classes?

Your Degree Works Audit provides information on your progress toward completion of degree program requirements and allows you to plan for the registration process. Courses listed under incomplete requirements are linked to catalog descriptions that include prerequisite requirements, GeneralEducation attributes and, when possible, available future course meeting times.

However, you cannot use the Degree Works Audit to officially register for classes. Registration will need to be completed by selecting theRegister link on the Student Quick Access Card.

What is the GPA Estimator tool?

Your Degree Works Audit has two GPA Estimator options. Note: If you are currently repeating a course, the original course is still in this calculation.

  • Graduation Calculator: Determines what grades you need to reach your desired GPA upon graduating.
  • Advice Calculator: Determines how many credits of a specific grade average you need to reach your desired GPA.

How do I use the What if Tool?

The What If tool allows students to explore how their academic history applies to alternate majors and different degree programs. Please note, you cannot make official changes to your program of study using the Degree Works Audit. All official changes to your degree program must be made by completing the appropriate form and submitting to The Office of the Registrar.

To view how your completed and current courses would count in a different program of study:

  • Click on the "What If" button on your Degree Works Audit.
  • Select the catalog term that matches the term your new program would become effective (typically the current term).
  • Select the majors, concentrations and minors you are considering.
  • To View your What If Audit, Click “Process” below your program information block.
  • Enter the program you are interested in changing to and click submit.
  • Review the resulting What If Degree Works Audit carefully to determine how your courses would count in this new program of study.
  • Discuss any new program of study with your academic advisor or from an advisor from the new program department.
  • Decide if you want to change or make additions to your program of study and complete the proper form to request those changes.

I think my audit is incorrect. What should I do?

While we have tried to make sure that your Degree Works Audit is correct, it is difficult to predict every unique situation or problem. We want to work with you to correct any issues as soon as possible. The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong.

If you think that a requirement for a major, minor or concentration is incorrect, you should meet with your academic advisor or consult the official degree program requirements for your program of study and effective catalog term. If you still believe there is an error on your Degree Works Audit please contact us here.

Please note, students who have graduated may not see an audit once the graduation notation has been posted to their transcript. Students considering readmission will not be able to see a degree audit until they officially readmit to the University.